When Microsoft Windows 8 is installed, it is only the Recycle Bin that is available on the desktop screen. Microsoft designed Windows 8’s default user profile this way to keep the desktop neat and tidy, which makes it easier for
the users to work on Windows. If users are experienced and are old users of Microsoft Windows, using the OS without commonly used icons on the desktop would not be a problem for them. On the other hand, users who are new to computer field and/or are new to the Microsoft platform, it might be challenging for them to operate Windows without the icons.
To make things easier, it is recommended that users should that the most frequently used icons on their desktop screens. Some of the commonly used icons are, Computer, Control Panel, etc.
To add or remove commonly used icons from the desktop screen in Microsoft Windows 8, steps given below must be followed:
1. Log on to Microsoft Windows 8 computer with any account.
2. From the Start screen, click Desktop tile.
3. On the desktop screen, right-click anywhere.
4. From the context menu, click Personalize.
5. From the Personalization window, click Change desktop icons from the left pane.
6. On the Desktop Icon Settings box, check or uncheck the checkboxes representing the icons that are to be placed or removed from the desktop respectively.
7. Click OK to apply the settings.
8. Close Personalization window when done.